JURMALA AIRPORT is located in the territory of the former army airfield.
TUKUMS airfield has been mentioned in historical sources since 1939 as a reserve militarny airfield of the USSR and a warehouse of the nuclear weapon.
- In 1939, in connection with the contract on mutual aid, the USSR placed the aircraft in the Latvian airfields. The Soviet army started to expand old and build new airfields.
- In 1941 – 1944 the division of Luftwaffe was based on airfield TUKUMS.
- In 1944-1945 668 sea aviation regiment of the Baltic Military Fleet (BMF) settled down in airfield TUKUMS
- On August 6, 1945 to National Protective Komisariat's military unit of the USSR No 49800 for needs of airfield was transferred in termless using of 225,4 hectares of the land which was in termless using of peasants, and 84,6 hectares of the area from the state fund of the land.
- On December 18, 1947 the army of the Soviet Union started to expand airfield TUKUMS, 602,4 hectares of the land with the solution of LSSR MC No 1047-c were allocated.
- On July 30, 1952 LSSR MC published the decision No 1509-pc about transfers of 32,2 hectares of the territory of 18352 parts of the USSR army for expansion of airfield TUKUMS.
- In 1960 the radio engineering part of the sixth separate Leningrad case was placed 23543 and 37741А
- In 1975, 668 sea aviation regiment of the Baltic military fleet was placed here.
- Until the breakup of the USSR the airfield had been used only for military needs. The last military units of the USSR left airfield TUKUMS in April, 1993. After leaving of the Soviet army the airfield was devastated, buildings were almost destroyed.
- On September 11, 1992 with the decision No 390 of Council of ministers of LR airfield TUKUMS was transferred to LR Ministry of Defence.
- On December 28, 1992 MA LR concluded the lease contract with the DURBE Ltd enterprise, after the conclusion of the contract, the part of the territory airfield and real estate was transferred into using to the enterprise.
- In the spring of 1993 the airfield was recognized as Reserve Airfield of Tukums (RAT) of the Latvian Air Forces.
- On July 31, 2001 airfield TUKUMS was transferred by the order of No of 381 cabinets of LR in a property to Tukums region municipality Smarde.
- runway renovation
- 300 hectares of the territury of airfield enclosing of 10 km by a fence
2007 – 2008
- access roads renovation and construction works
- hangars and caponiers renovation works
- Carrying out electricity and transformer
- Installation fuel – filling station
- Installation light-signal airfield system
- Renovation works in technical zone
- Installation of meteo system
- Construction of the passenger terminal
- ILS systems installation
- VOR/DME installation
- Light-signal system certification
- The airport is being renamed to "Jurmala Airport"
- Construction completion of the passenger terminal building
- Certification of the airport for performing instrumental flights
- The effects on the environment have been investigated and public hearings have been held in order to perform regular commercial flights